Reply To: Why do bees like dirty water??? (Or is it just mine!)

Welcome Forums Shipston Beekeepers ‘Let’s talk beekeeping’ Forum Why do bees like dirty water??? (Or is it just mine!) Reply To: Why do bees like dirty water??? (Or is it just mine!)

Chris
Participant

From what I have now read, it appears there are a number of reasons. Firstly, temperature. Shallow water dribbling from a compost heap is warmer than a cold pool or stream. Secondly, smell. Bees don’t see water like we do. When they fly over everything is a blur but they can obviously smell extremely well and hence smelly water is easier to find! Also salts and minerals play a big part. One article I read said that water considered dirty by us is actually a ‘vitamin mix’ for bees! All very interesting. When you dig around on the web it is a question that has been posed by quite a few beekeepers and a very widespread behaviour by the bees. Compost heaps feature a lot. One beekeeper even took a photograph of bees drinking from wet concrete. Of course, another factor is risk of drowning. Much less in a shallow run off or damp patch than a fast flowing stream