Reply To: Defensive, Aggressive or maybe F2 aggression?

Gary T
Participant

Following on from the overwhelming (!?!) response to my post I thought I’d update with, er, an update.

I carried out a hive inspection exactly a week later. Learnign my lesson about angry bees continuing to follow me I inspected my other 2 hives first. They were both very calm, a bit of smoke in the entrance at the start  as nromal but after that I didn’t need any more to complete either inspection.

On the the ‘aggressive/defensive’ hive. I put on a second pair of marigolds just in case. Getting the supers off was OK, ditto removing the queen excluder. Now for the bit that really seemed to get them going last time, removing brood frames to inspect.

They were fine! Puffs of smoke needed to clear them from the ends of the frames and that was it. A few bees buzzing around my head and one trying to have a go through the mesh but that was it. So perhaps last time they were, for soem reason, being very (very) defensive. But I was mightly relieved that they were not aggressive. As I mentioned I’m in the middle of an estate with the gardens of other houses on 3 sides of the garden so I cannot afford for the bees to become truely agressive.

But, ahem, they did sting my wife on the hand. She was taking pictures as I was doing the inspection and they clearly don’t like the paraparrazi!