Reply To: They swarmed from just the one queen cell and now only emergency QC’s left??

Welcome Forums Shipston Beekeepers ‘Let’s talk beekeeping’ Forum They swarmed from just the one queen cell and now only emergency QC’s left?? Reply To: They swarmed from just the one queen cell and now only emergency QC’s left??

David Jones
Participant

You did not necessarily miss QCs. I think it’s just as likely that they still had viable larvae on 26 Apr that they have fed up into emergency QCs.  I know that 7 days should mean that the larvae are over 3 days old, but I wonder exactly what time you took the queen out, exactly what time you took down all the other QCs etc, and, in the end, bees don’t stick to the hard-and-fast numbers in the books.  Quite possibly the emergency QCs have very poor queens that will not be fertile. When this happened to me, I put one of the emergency QCs in a nuc and tried to raise it, but I never got her to lay

I don’t see any problem uniting the cast swarm with the (soon to be) broodless bees remaining in the original hive – assuming you have removed all the emergency QCs, of course!