Can I use a nuc as a bait hive?

Welcome Forums Shipston Beekeepers ‘Let’s talk beekeeping’ Forum Can I use a nuc as a bait hive?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Gary

The title says it all really!

DeeBee

In his work Tom Sealy discovered swarming bees have a set of preferences for their new home, rather like the filters we might apply when looking for a new home on RightMove. He found the volume of the nest site ideally needed to be ~40l or more. This happens to be the size of the Langstroth as used in USA. A National brood box is ~35l so just about ok. A nuc would be considered too small and in my experience they are too small for housing a decent size collected swarm.

GAry

DeeBee,

Thanks, I had a feeling that a Nuc might be too small. I have a spoare brood so I think I’ll try to improvise a roof and floor to create a bait hive.

Chris+Paxford

I have a 6 frame nuc which also has a super. For a few years it was outside my workshop and it caught a swarm at least once every year!!! I shouldn’t have moved it! I guess being that little bit wider and with a super too, it made it a good size.
      One year, whilst Dave Peckham was with me, a swarm came inside my workshop and hived itself on the top shelf of some metal racking upon which was a super. Quite a sight and very funny as my son Jack was in there working in his car and he hates bees!! Bless them, you never really know what they will do….

Gary

Interesting. I’ve got a 6-frame poly nuc and might just see if I can get a super for it to try using it as a bait hive.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Hello! You need to be a member of SBK and to log in to be able to reply to this topic.