First ‘2nd Monday’ Virtual meeting – pictures

Welcome Forums Shipston Beekeepers ‘Let’s talk beekeeping’ Forum First ‘2nd Monday’ Virtual meeting – pictures

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Gary T
      Participant

Tewnty-two members joined in our first 2nd Monday Virtual meeting. It was deemed a success so we plan to make it a regular event – well, every 2nd Monday!

Below is a pic of the attendees:

Sophie
      Participant

Thanks for organising this! Great to e-meet you all 🙂

Tim
        Participant

Welcome Sophie!

Tim
      Participant

David,

Great start. I thought it worked very well though sorry to have missed the first part. I should have been there at the start but other things happened. Then I waited about 20 mins waiting to be granted access by the host. But I had the swallows to look at nesting in the stables  – – – and a glass of Pastis.

David
      Participant

<span style=”font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;”>Tim,</span>

<span style=”font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;”>I was host and the speaker so once the meeting had started, around 7.35, I was not able to monitor the queue of people who arrived late as I was presenting. Could do with a separate host next time?</span>

<span style=”font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;”>David</span>

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by David.
      Gary T
      Participant

I have a question relating to the talk.

I don’t really want to start a nuc in my back garden – 2 hives is plenty! But I do need to do swarm prevention on one of the hives. Can I remove 2 frames of brood from the strong hive, shake all the bees off, and place them in my 2nd hive which is quite weak at the moment?

That way I reduce the chance of my strong hive swarming and can boost the weak hive – or am I missing something?

If push comes to shove I can move some frames of brood into a nuc as I do have the spare kit – and I desperately want to prevent the lovely ladies swarming this year.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Gary T.
      David
      Participant

<span style=”font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif;”>As long as the strong hive is disease free (which is probably true or else it would not be strong) you can put frames of brood into the weaker hive to boost it. Having more nurse bees allows that colony to increase the number of cells they can tend plus the emerging brood will mean there are empty cells ready for the queen to lay up. From this you can appreciate it is best if you can donate emerging or sealed brood rather than unsealed. Unsealed brood means more mouths to feed and space to keep warm; you risk it being neglected if the weak colony has insufficient nurse bees initially. The transfer will weaken the colony a little but it will still have all its flying bees. To reduce the number of flying bees you could swop the location of the two hives, ie move A to B and B to A. I have never used this equalisation technique but it is fairly common early in the season. </span>

Gary T
        Participant

David,

Thanks for this. My ‘strong’ hive has a couple of lovely frames full of sealed brood so I’ll move one of those over, with attendant nurse bees, in the next day or so.

David
      Participant

<span style=”font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif;”>Hi Gary,</span>

If you are only moving the 2 frames then you need to shake all the bees off before transferring. The reference to nurse bees was in relation to the bees that will hatch from the sealed cells you give the weak colony. Sorry for the confusion.

D.

Gary T
      Participant

Ah,

Well as it happens I looked at a lot of websites (and read the article in Bee Craft by the apprentice in Australia who mentions ‘evening-up) and most seemed to say that it was OK to leave bees on the frame when moving it. Some sites suggested giving the frame a tap to eject the flying bees.

So that’s what I did. I took one frame of sealed brood (both sides) from my strong hive, checked the queen wasn’t there, gave it a tap and then placed it with it’s attendant bees next to a brood frame in the weak hive. I gently lowerd it in, moved it close but not touching, waited a bit (no fighting) so closed the frames up. So far (it was a couple of hours ago) so good with no sign of fighting – indeed all seems normal at the entrance to the hive.

Phew!

Chris
      Participant

That’s interesting. I confess, if I had done it I would have sugared them with icing sugar. Much easier your way! I would be interested to hear your results but it certainly sounds positive, well done. That is exactly the sort of thing we should be sharing on this forum

Gary T
      Participant

I had thought about spraying them with sugar solution (or even lemongrass oil diluted in water) but on lots of forums beekeepers were saying that just dropping the frame of brood with attendant house bees was OK. And so it proved. But it was a very nervous few hours afterwards watching the entrance to see any signs of fighting.

Now did I remember to mark that frame so that I can identify it on the next inspection…….

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Hello! You need to be a member of SBK and to log in to be able to reply to this topic.