First Inspection, what did you find?????

Welcome Forums Shipston Beekeepers ‘Let’s talk beekeeping’ Forum First Inspection, what did you find?????

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Chris+Paxford

Well, just been through my bees properly for the first time this year. Wow, it looks like the end of May not the beginning of April! Several full supers of honey, many hives completely full of bees, drones present. No playcups so not quite ready for swarm control but it won’t be long. I’ve put supers on (three on a couple) and given them something to do. Will be interesting to see how things develop……….How are others finding it??

Gary

I did my first full inspection last Sunday. One hive was already bursting with bees so I added a second super to the one I had added a few days before when I say how full the brood.

My second hive is from a nuc I overwintered so still only over about 5 frames so no rush for a super there – yet.

There were drone cells in both my hives but no sign of drones just yet. I’m scrabbling to improvise a bait hive at the moment in case the strong hive swarms early. Another inspection tomorrow so we’ll see what I find then.

Gary

Test reply to test subscribing.

David Jones

Two or more weeks ahead of last year. Significant honey in supers, with small patches capped. One hive I made into double brood 7 days ago has drawn 60% of the comb. OSR has been in flower in the Nethercote valley since last week of March – present on both the valley floor and on the top, so the overall flowering period could be extended

Gary

Hive inspection today of my two (Banbury) garden hives. One really strong, two supers, honey mostly in the centre frames and not capped as yet. 2nd Hive only about 6 frames (from overwintered nuc) but some good frames of honey; seems slow to build. I gave them some ‘spring’ syrup in a rapid feeder and they have completely ignored it. No sign of drones as yet and one or two play caps started.

Tim
      Participant

I have to admit that I was late with my first inspection. The bees confirmed that by building honey comb in the feeding eke which I then scraped off and left in place above the crown board over a super and QX. All creating extra work for the bees. Two colonies very slow developing and must decide whether to merge or perform Bailey comb change (for weak colony).Will check again this week.
      But otherwise colonies doing fine. Two died early winter – one hive and one overwintering nuc.

Gary T
      Participant

One of my queens

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Gary T.
      David
      Participant

Dysentery on overwintered frame<span style=”font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif;”>Classic dysentery staining on one of the few weak colonies this spring.</span>

Tim
        Participant

David

How do you deal with that situation? Do you nurture them, merge (if otherwise healthy), or Bailey comb change for weak colony?

David
        Participant

I will move them onto clean frames in a clean nuc box then feed. Transfer one old frame, to be removed at earliest opportunity if/when Q starts to lay up again. Very small colony and probably too weak to do normal Bailey manoeuvre. Bees have to be moved over with care. Too much shaking and they will sh*t all over the clean comb!

Tim
        Participant

Thanks David.

Have you had any success with the Bailey comb change for a weak colony?

The disadvantage is time really.

Tim
      Participant

A photo of some combe cut from aabove the crown board and left there for the bees to take down to the super which should have been put on earlier.comb in eke

Gary T
      Participant

Hmmm… or not! More work to do on images then!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Hello! You need to be a member of SBK and to log in to be able to reply to this topic.