GRANULATED HONEY

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      JudyC
      Participant

Hi Everyone.

We spun our honey yesterday and noticed that in a few frames there was a fair bit of granulated honey. What does everyone do with it?  Should we give it back to the bees to clean up? Any tips much appreciated.

Also not very much honey at all – about a quarter of a bucket when in the past each hive has normally filled a bucket.  Thank you.

David Jones
      Participant

Hi Judy.  Technically it’s possible to, scrape off the cells with honey in, melt the honey & wax, let it cool then pour off the honey from the wax that solidifies on top.  Not worth the effort, in my opinion.  I would either leave it in a super under the brood box for the winter or put it above the crown board and let them take it down

JudyC
      Participant

Thanks for that David.  So put it on top of the crownboard?  Is that your recommendation for cleaning up the supers after spinning?

David Jones
      Participant

PS. My yields are rubbish too, and I know we are not the only ones, but I think some people have been lucky, I mean better beekeepers  🙂

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Hello! You need to be a member of SBK and to log in to be able to reply to this topic.