I think they are swarming…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Gary T
      Participant

I have only 2 hives in my back garden in Banbury.

At the start of May I found queen cells in Hive1. I performed a perfect nucleus split – queen successfully moved with a couple fo frames of brood, a frame of stores and some additional bees into a nucleus that was waiting ready.

A week later I inspected the hive, removed all queen cells bar one, and sat back.

This is how they rewarded me

Fortunately for me they settled in the Acer in the foreground so catching them was fairly easy:

The swarm is currently in the nuc I collected them in. I’ve removed all remaining queen cells from the hive the came from (the left-hand one in the pictures) and plan to unite the bees in the nuc back into the hive via a form of Demaree. Well, that’s the plan……

• This topic was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by Gary T.
      • This topic was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by Gary T.
      Tim
      Participant

Thats lucky.

I have had 2 like thatand right now need to go through my hives to check that no more qc’s have been created in last 5 days. But it is mighty windy here.

Easy to forget to check again a few days after reducing qc’s. Remembering that they can still create queens from a larva 2-4 days old (7 days from laid egg).

Gary T
        Participant

Tim,

My suspicions are that they must have been creating queens from lavae – and at quite a rate.

There is an interesting update to this story. When I started to sort out kit for the Demaree I mentioned above I had a quick peek into the nuc with the swarm but it was pretty empty – and at the same time the hive they came from was bursting with bees, hardly compatible with having swarmed in my view – had the swarm moved from the nuc back into the hive they came from?

Thus I was a bit stuck – in an inspection yesterday there was no sign of the queen from the swarm and no queen / eggs / lavae in the hive. Not the end of the world as I have the original queen from that hive in a nuc.

Opening my wax box to put some scrapings in we noticed some movement and there was a queen wandering around. One of the queen cells I put in there last Monday must have hatched. I caught her, put her in a cage and placed it in my Hive 1. She is quite small and I give it 50/50 that introducing her will work but worth a try I thought

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by Gary T.
      David
      Participant

Emergency queen cells can be created from 3-day-old larvae, which means larvae that are six days since the egg was laid, so you need to remove excess QCs 7 days (or more) after the queen is removed.  Even knowing this, I messed up and went back after only 6 days, with the same result you had!

Gary T
      Participant

My how I laughed at the optimism of the final paragraph of an article in this months beeCraft on performing a nucleus split

‘After this you can relax…’

David
      Participant

As usual, The Apiarist says it best…

https://theapiarist.org/queen-cells-quantity-quality/

David
      Participant

As usual, The Apiarist covers it best…

https://theapiarist.org/queen-cells-quantity-quality/

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Hello! You need to be a member of SBK and to log in to be able to reply to this topic.