pollen stores in supers

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      IreneB
      Participant

Inspected bees last Thursday and one hive has 3 supers on but the one next to the brood box has pollen stored in the cells and stored in other cells honey, looked a bit like a brood frame but without eggs and brood. There are 3 brood frames that they will not draw out to create more room in the brood box.  Any ideas thought please

Chris
      Participant

Have had lots of pollen in the bottom super before with a strong colony. Not sure why yours are not drawing out the frames below though. Does the foundation need freshening up a bit perhaps? A few hours in the sun maybe?? Or warm it with a heat gun gently to freshen it a bit?

I have just replaced brood comb in a couple of mine because the bees were just not liking it. It looked clean and was not that old but you could see they were not happy with it, under used and brood erratic. Other frames in the colony were text book. Odd. I had the bee inspector here (scheduled visit) and he also commented on it so we changed one while he was here and I did the other one the day after. Used the Horsley method but that’s just my preference.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Hello! You need to be a member of SBK and to log in to be able to reply to this topic.