Slimline queen

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Rod
      Participant

Has anybody encountered a queen that is slimline and can squeeze through a queen excluder? The queen in one of my hives is laying large quantities of brood but has moved from the brood box into a super and is laying lots of brood there. I couldn’t find her after a long search. I gave up and placed another queen excluder on top of that super and the one above. Try as I might I have not been able to find the queen who continues to lay where it suites her. She must be able to squeeze through all those QE’s!!!

Chris
      Participant

That’s a nuisance!! Obviously a small queen. Not that size is anything to go by. I have seen small queens build up a hive very quickly. Similar problem but different – I have found significant drone brood in two supers in different hives. Odd, not something I remember seeing previously other than the odd cell but I guess it can happen with a laying worker happily laying away ‘upstairs’ while there is what appears to be a perfectly functioning queen below. I shook all the bees out.

What are you going to do? Shake them all out and requeen? Wait for winter and shake them all down in the hope they will requeen in the spring? Difficult one.

Rod
      Participant

Thanks for the comments Chris. The frustrating aspect is that the brood is exactly what you would hope to see on a frame in the brood box. Lovely worker and capped brood. It is certainly not a laying worker! I have twice shaken bees down into the brood box but once again finding new perfect brood in super(s). I am going to re-queen now and allow time for the colony to build up as the present huge number of workers dies off over the coming weeks as they naturally will.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Hello! You need to be a member of SBK and to log in to be able to reply to this topic.