Too many bees ?!?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Gary T
      Participant

I have 2 hives in my back garden apiary.

Over the spring / summer we have extracted, 2 supers at a time, about 84lbs of honey – more than enough for us.

Since the last extraction I’ve left 2 supers on both hives with the aim of removing them and creating 1 super full of honey to ‘bottom super’ each hive.

I’ve cleared one super from ‘Hive2’ (so it now has 1 super on) and there are still 2 supers on ‘Hive1’. Today I went to further clear bees down from the supers but….all the supers are absolutely full of bees, as are the brood chambers.

It seems to me that there is simply not enough space in the brood chambers for all the bees if I clear them down from the supers. On the other hand I don’t want to leave the supers on through the winter……or do I?

I’m unsure as to whether I should just clear all the bees down into the brood chambers and the bees will sort the crowding themselves, or perhaps just leave 1 super on each hive until the bees naturally move down or……?

Advice please!

Gary T
      Participant

I had a clearer under the top super of Hive1 for some 5hrs today. That normally is more than long enough to clear all the bees down – but not today, the super was still full of bees.Top super after 5hrs of clearing

Gary T
      Participant

And this is the super above the brood that the bees should have been clearing down into – it looks pretty full to me which is perhaps why the bees were not moving down?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Hello! You need to be a member of SBK and to log in to be able to reply to this topic.