Top Tips

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      David Jones
      Participant

So… a couple of lessons from today’s inspections:

Should the need arise, it is actually possible to complete a full inspection on two double-brood colonies, carrying a total of 5 supers, using only a garden hand-fork.  The personal satisfaction in doing this is certainly enhanced if you find your hive-tool in the long grass after you have finished the task.

Secondly, if you need to do swarm control, and find the queen on the 18th of the 20 frames you need to search through, it’s not a bad idea to constrain her with a crown-of-thorns while you set up your second set of equipment, find appropriate combs to transfer etc.  However, it makes the job so much more fun if you leave a small gap from which the queen can wriggle out and re-join the colony, so that you can play hide-and-seek again.  Oh, how we laughed

The serious point here is that our double-brood, triple-super colony had queen cells (one sealed) on 19 April!  No sign last week (except masses of drone) but, from today’s evidence, I reckon she packed up laying 4 days ago.  What a year!

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by David Jones.
      David Jones
      Participant

You live and learn

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by David Jones.
      Gary T
      Participant

I had 3 swarms last year from my 2 hives (I blame the beekeeper!) so not best pleased to read your bees are already preparing to swarm. I promise (to my neighbours) to be more diligent this year in my inspections.

And in case not I’ve made and put up a bait hive.

Tim
        Participant

Gary deserves a prize for best bait hive

Chris
      Participant

Blimey! And on a double brood as well! I am inspecting tomorrow. To be honest I was half expecting swarm cells anyway but now it seems inevitable although I hope not. They were certainly all working hard today when I stopped the mower for a few minutes and had a look. I shall report back……..

Tim
      Participant

Great tips David.

Must remember to take a garden fork with me. Would it fix on my tool belt?

last week I took absolutely everything with me to out apiary. Car jam packed. Except for only one thing like you – hive tool. So had to improvise with a pair of scizzors.

Chris
      Participant

Inspection complete! Oh, er, I expect swarm phonecalls next weekend, that’s my prediction!!!

I have put control (Horsley) on one of mine, probably should have done two but I will monitor. Good flow of honey coming in and strong colonies

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Hello! You need to be a member of SBK and to log in to be able to reply to this topic.