Wasps

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Sophie
      Participant

Hi there,

I am having the most difficult time with multiple wasps nests in nearby houses. They are using our beehive as a buffet and the area around the hive has become a true carnage.

We’ve tried Nippon Wasp Nest Control, homemade traps (plastic bottle ones), but we are clearly losing the battle.
      I’ve ordered an anti-wasp entrance to come some time this week, and some more wasp nest poison. But I am feeling a little deflated.

What might I do that could help the clearly declining colony?

The hive is located on a large concrete area, is that making the bees too visible/vulnerable? Should I attempt to move them to a more grassy area? Or simply remove them from that area completely? The wasps are apparently a long known problem which nobody is trying to resolve.

Any other tips that I could attempt?

Thanks for your help!

Sophie

JudyC
      Participant

Hi Sophie

We too have massive wasp problems.  This year we got a Hyfegate which seems to be working with our smaller colony.  We got it from Thornes. The larger colony got too angry about waiting around outside, so we abandoned it on that hive and put rodent wire over most of the entrance to make it a lot smaller.  We also had made something like this https://www.thorne.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=7255.  But we’ve also heard that if you put some trunking for wires along the entrance the bees learn to go in and out via the side but wasps can’t figure it out.   Very best of luck. They’re a real nuisance.

Sophie
      Participant

Hi Judy,

I’m currently thinking of temporarily relocating them. Then maybe they can go back to their original place, but with tougher and earlier anti-wasp measures for 2021! I’ve ordered a hyfegate and the anti-robbing device, so I can have a go using these.

Thank you so much for your recommendations.

David
      Participant

Hi Sophie,

If wasps have found a weak colony they will predate on it mercilessly. You can reduce the entrance size but early in the cool mornings when bees are clustered the wasps are flying and able to get in. There are decoy entrances on the market or you can make your own using electrical trunking. They can help. The best solution is probably to move them as you have surmised.

A weak colony is always vulnerable. I have seen lots of wasps in one of my apiaries and they have finished off a weak nucleus colony. The other strong colonies have small entrances and are keeping them at bay. Check your colony when it is in its new location to see if it has a problem. Is there worker brood present in reasonable volume? Is the queen present and laying? Any signs of significant disease?

David

Sophie
      Participant

Hi David,

The wasps seem to simply ambush the bees once they come out. And indeed a lot of the wasps make it in the hive, especially early in the morning.

Quite worryingly I have not seen the queen for over a week, and while there was some brood hatching, I have seen no signs of recent laying.
      And the honey stores are looking dire.

The colony dealt with some lesser wax moths earlier in June, but I have seen no further signs during August. Also, no signs of varroa mites or any other diseases.

It’s a young colony, from a swarm I got from Chris end of May. We might try and merge if with another swarm.
      I’ll look further into decoy entrances.

Thanks David!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Hello! You need to be a member of SBK and to log in to be able to reply to this topic.