When to reconfigure Hives from winter mode

Welcome Forums Shipston Beekeepers ‘Let’s talk beekeeping’ Forum When to reconfigure Hives from winter mode

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      RayP
      Participant

Hi as spring is on its way I was wondering when was the best time to reconfigure hives from winter mode (supers on bottom) to summer mode (Supers back on top) any advice would be appreciated.

Gary T
      Participant

Great question Ray as I did the same this (last) year for the first time and have also been wondering when to remove the super.

I’m presuming that the super should be removed around the time of the first inspection – but that’s just a guess.

David Jones
      Participant

There is a thread about it (possibly still growing) here…  https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/posts/750420/

As you might expect, there are a number of different answers  🙂

My prejudice is to only disturb colonies when it’s necessary and, at the moment, it isn’t.  The worst that could happen is that you might get some brood in the super, in which case the solution is as given in the link: put it above the QX at first inspection and don’t worry about it

Tim
      Participant

David,

I took the opportunity to remove my bottom super and mouseguards 2 weeks ago when temp was 15c. I will wait awhile before supering on top as they will need to keep warm still for a bit longer.

Perhaps wait until a bit warmer before you take lower super away. I found that there were no stores left but quite a few bees inside which meant that I had to shake them into the brood box. Slightly disruptive so better on a warmish day

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Hello! You need to be a member of SBK and to log in to be able to reply to this topic.